Brendan Baker, an MBA student at Oxford, created a phenomenal infographic (pdf) of our $1MM angel raise for AppMakr. Here's how to read it and what it means. Additionally, below is a 7 minute interview I did with Brendan going over the top points gleaned from the infographic.
Brendan followed our raise from before I even moved from DC to SF last summer. I made a few trips to SF as I began the raise process, and then moved to SF fulltime in July 2010. The raise was wrapped up by October 2010 (here's the party we had to celebrate!). The core of the raise happened over a 14 week period.
How to read the infographic:
- Chronologically, left to right, with dates at the top, starting in June and ending in October
- A beginning dot is an intro, then the resulting line is how long the intro took to play out
- Large circles are successful funds raiseed
- Brendan separated the intros into 3 groups, on the right-hand side: Timewasters, Old School and New School intros
- Timing is important: I tried to do the raise over the summer. Bad idea. Focus on spring, with fall being second-best. Avoid summer and holidays.
- Nail your message: We iterated on our message during the raise (not ideal). Watch the video for more details.
Here's the video interview between me and Brendan with my top tips:
Subscribe to DROdio
Get new posts sent to you. If you change your mind later, unsubscribe with one click.
You're a member of this community! Use the buttons on the right to vote on this post or share it with others. Or leave a reply below.